"Just do it!" is becoming my motto. Sometimes SayGoBeDos are kind of random, and usually they're out of our comfort zone, but they are so rewarding.
Today at work I met a volunteer as we made assembled boxes. I just started a casual conversation, "So, where are you from?"
"Originally, Guadelajara, Mexico."
My eyes lit up, and I began to speak to him in Spanish. His name was Jose. He told me about his family, about being separated from his wife and all his children living in different states. I could tell that he loved his children and wanted to be near them. I listened carefully, and he appreciated that, but I wished I could give some words of comfort. Just then I was called away to do another job and didn't see Jose until he was walking out to his car.
"Go shake Jose's hand." The thought came. I was working, but I set aside my tools and walked over to Jose. I thanked him for coming and he asked if I wanted his telephone number. We exchanged numbers, and he began to walk to his car.
"Give Jose a hug." The thought came. "No" I reasoned, "he's already turned and heading to his car." "Call him back and give him a hug."
So before I could think I called out, "Jose, can I give you a hug?" He looked surprised, and kind of startled. "Yes. Of course." He finally said.
I gave him a big hug, and I could feel his strong frame begin to quake from restrained sobs. "God loves you, my brother" I said, "He loves you and will bless you and your family."
When we finished embracing, Jose's eyes were filled with tears, and my heart was full of joy. Each of us had gained a new friend, and I was blessed to again remember how good it feels to follow SayGoBeDos.
Lukas you are a super stud. I really need to bask in your awesome. I feel like I have moments like those and my fears of the other person thinking 'This guy is totally insane' get in the way more than they should.
ReplyDeleteYou have inspired me to 'SayGoBeDo' when I feel the urge to. Thanks!
Daniel